TAP FORMS WILL BE READY FOR PICK UP FROM THE PICKUP BOX OUTSIDE IN 2 BUSINESS DAYS. If you need it sooner, please call us (250-539-3230).
Tips for a successful TAP form request:
- Give as MUCH information as possible about the destination physician i.e. first name, last name, type of practitioner.
- If you are going for bloodwork or a diagnostic and are not sure exactly when you are going, remember that TAP forms can be used within 30 days of the appointment date that you enter when you call to get approval.
- If you need any other information, the TAP line is 1-800-661-2668
Travel Assistance Program (TAP BC)
The Travel Assistance Program (TAP) helps alleviate some of the transportation costs for eligible B.C. residents who must travel within the province for non-emergency medical specialist services not available in their own community.
Beginning April 19, 2023, BC Ferries customers using the Ministry of Health’s Travel Assistance Program (TAP) to attend medical appointments can book a complimentary reservation online. A completed TAP form with a confirmation number is required book a reservation on BC Ferries and needs to be presented at the terminal to claim the booking. For more information please visit: https://www.bcferries.com/book-sailings/medical-assured-loading
TAP is a corporate partnership between the Ministry of Health and private transportation carriers.
The program is coordinated by the Ministry of Health and the transportation partners who agree to waive or discount their regular fees.
Eligible Medical Specialist Services Include:
- Non-emergency medical specialist services available at the closest location outside the patient’s community; and
- Diagnostic procedures, laboratory procedures, diagnostic radiology, nuclear medicine procedures, BC Cancer Agency, Transplant Units, HIV/AIDS treatment at St. Paul’s Hospital, specialty clinics at BC Children’s Hospital and other tertiary care hospital services.
The Following Services are not Eligible for TAP:
- Patient transfer from one facility to another;
- GP to GP referrals;
- Supplementary benefit practitioner services (e.g., acupuncturist, optometry, physical therapy, massage therapy, podiatry, non-hospital based dentistry, naturopathy, and chiropractic services); and
- Non-insured services (e.g., cosmetic surgery, experimental procedures, clinical drug trials, preventative medicine).
Health care services provided by practitioners other than medical physicians (e.g. acupuncturist services, psychology, optometry, physiotherapy, massage therapy, podiatry, non-hospital based dentistry, naturopathy and chiropractic) and services not insured by MSP (e.g. experimental procedures, drug trials or cosmetic surgery) are not eligible for TAP.
TAP does not provide direct financial assistance to patients for travel costs or make travel arrangements for patients. Meals, accommodation, mileage, fuel and local transportation expenses are not included in TAP and are the responsibility of the patient.
There is no reimbursement for travel already taken.
For more information please visit https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/accessing-health-care/tap-bc/travel-assistance-program-tap-bc