Like many island organizations, the Galiano Health Care Society is volunteer run. From the Volunteer Board of Directors to the volunteers who run our Volunteer Services programs, to the Lion’s and community members who make the Wine Festival happen, we depend on, and are indebted to these people and their energy that they give so generously to our community.
If you have an interest in becoming a volunteer in any of our programs, or have an interest in serving on the Board of Directors, please give our Coordinator a call at 250-539-3753 or complete our on-line Volunteer Application Form and we will contact you.
Finally, THANK YOU, to all the volunteers that make quality health care a reality for all islanders!
Examples of volunteer activities
- Support Groups – examples could be monthly coffee house drop-in, welcome wagon, consumer and family support groups, training to lead groups, walking clubs, etc
- Education – workshops and forums, plays and performances, phone tree for participation, liaison with publicity, food committee, etc
- Friendly Visiting – support for isolation, support for elder and disabled population, could also be support for persons with mental health issues like depression.
- Peer counseling – mentoring, one on one contact with others who have shared your experience.
- Publicity /fundraising – making posters, signs, visibility for public education, email contacts, face book page, website for Galiano Mental Health and wellness.
- Advocacy and Lobbying– working for more funding for mental health, responding to government cuts, etc