Employment Opportunity – On Call Nurse – Galiano Island
For more than 27 years, the Galiano Health Care Centre has provided health, wellness and community services to Galiano Island. The centre is the hub of health and wellness activity on the island and takes pride in offering quality care and programs to the residents of Galiano. Responding to community need, we are implementing a program of a Nurse providing week-end call, a program that existed for years on the island but was stopped four years ago due to cutbacks in funding. We have secured funds from the Ministry of Health through the work of the BC and Canadian Association of Community Health Centres, of which we are a member centre, and are able to offer this opportunity to an interested and qualified candidate.
Working to a full scope of practice, the RN candidate with First Call Nurse, Remote Nurse certification or equivalent experience, will provide comprehensive urgent and emergent care nursing, including transfers to higher levels of care, in a primary care clinic setting. The candidate will work closely with First Responders and Paramedics. The Nurse will be supported by Physicians on call on Galiano or our sister Gulf Islands of Mayne and Pender, and Physicians in the emergency departments of Saanich Peninsula, Royal Jubilee and Victoria General hospitals. Our family practice physician will be available as a mentor and support on an ongoing basis.
- Post-secondary diploma (RN) or degree (BScN) from a recognized college or university
- Certification as a First Call or Remote Nurse an asset
- Minimum of four year’s nursing experience
- Emergency room experience an asset
- Working in a rural health care and community nursing environment an asset
- Ability to work with diverse communities
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong computer skills and past use of EMR systems an asset
- Ability to work alone under sometimes stressful circumstances
- Knowledge of this and adjacent community health care resources
- Recognizing situations that require immediate consultation or referral to higher levels of care
- Consulting and/or referring to a physician or NP as appropriate
- Ability to maintain complete and accurate records in accordance with the Health Centre’s policies
Other Key Qualifications
- ACLS accredited
- CARE course
- Suture, IV, ECG
This position offers a competitive wage based on the BCNU wage scale and on-call premiums. Hours of work would normally be from 2pm on Fridays to 8am on Monday, up to three weekends a month. (More weekends are required when our population expands during visitor season of May to September). The candidate will work within the Galiano Health Care Centre, which has a fully equipped Urgent and Emergent Treatment Room.
Funding for required courses and updates is available for the successful candidate.
How do I apply for this position?
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply by forwarding a covering letter and resume to the attention of Linda Ruedrich, Executive Director and Manager at:
Should you require any assistance with your application, please contact our office via email. We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.